By Georgia L. Irby
A better half to technology, expertise, and drugs in old Greece and Rome brings a clean point of view to the research of those disciplines within the old international, with 60 chapters analyzing those issues from numerous severe and technical perspectives.
- Brings a clean viewpoint to the examine of technology, know-how, and medication within the old global, with 60 chapters interpreting those subject matters from numerous severe and technical perspectives
- Begins insurance in six hundred BCE and contains sections at the later Roman Empire and past, that includes dialogue of the transmission and reception of those principles into the Renaissance
- Investigates key disciplines, ideas, and routine in historical technological know-how, expertise, and drugs in the historic, cultural, and philosophical contexts of Greek and Roman society
- Organizes its content material in halves: the 1st makes a speciality of mathematical and traditional sciences; the second one makes a speciality of cultural functions and interdisciplinary themes
Read or Download A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome, 2 Volume Set PDF
Best special topics books
Tunability has further a major measurement to quite a few laser units and ended in new structures and purposes. From laser spectroscopy to Bose-Einstein condensation, the only nexus is the tunable laser.
Incorporating 9 solely new chapters, Tunable Laser functions, moment variation displays the numerous advancements in tunable lasers that experience taken position during the last decade. the world over famous specialists describe the physics and structure of extensively utilized tunable laser resources, emphasizing biomedical purposes of fiber lasers and ultrashort pulsed lasers in addition to laser isotope separation and melanoma photodynamic therapy.
New to the second one Edition—
· Advances in optical parametric oscillators
· Advances in tunable semiconductor lasers
· Solid-state dye lasers
· Laser isotope separation utilizing diode lasers
· scientific functions of table-top coherent X-rays
Outlining new functions in biology and drugs, this moment variation bargains a well-needed and up to date account of the main promising tunable laser functions.
The problem for the biosciences within the twenty-first century is to combine genome sequencing details right into a larger realizing of biology, body structure, and human pathology. Such makes an attempt at integration are relocating the realm towards a brand new iteration of bioscience and bioengineering, the place organic, physiological, and pathological details from people and different residing animals may be quantitatively defined in silico throughout a number of scales of time and measurement and during various hierarchies of association — from molecules to cells and organs, to participants.
- Paths to Asian Medical Knowledge (Comparative Studies of Health Systems and Medical Care)
- Medicine in the English Middle Ages
- Children’s Surgery : A Worldwide History
- The Politics of Bioethics
- Vegetables and Fruits: Nutritional and Therapeutic Values
Extra resources for A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome, 2 Volume Set
1970. Early Greek Science: Thales to Aristotle. New York: W. W. Norton & Co. Introduction 9 Lloyd, G. E. R. 1973. Greek Science after Aristotle. New York: W. W. Norton & Co. Lloyd, G. E. R. 1979. Magic, Reason, and Experience: Studies in the Origins and Development of Greek Science. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Lloyd, G. E. R. 2006. Principles and Practices in Ancient Greek and Chinese Science. Ashgate: Aldershot. McGeough, K. 2004. The Romans: An Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
In general, a cosmos consisted of earth, sun, moon, five planets, and some surrounding stars. In some views, one cosmos exhausted the universe, in others there were many cosmoi (plural of cosmos) within a universe, with variations on earth, sun, moon, and five planets. In some views, there was one cosmos, eternal once generated; in others, cosmoi were subject to destruction and replacement. One can classify Greek ideas on the creation and destruction of the world into four broad types: 1) A single cosmos is generated, which then exists permanently, with no destruction.
In the second section, “The Mathematical Sciences,” we scrutinize tra ditional scientific disciplines founded on the methods and principles of mathematics (including Astronomy, Astrology, Ancient Optics: Theories and Problems of Vision, Hydrostatics and Pneumatics in Antiquity, and The Science of Harmonics and Music Theory in Ancient Greece). We then investigate the sciences of the earth (Part III: “Earth Sciences”) including the material composition of the earth and bodies of water and the laws of physics that govern them (Classical Geology and the Mines of the Greeks and Romans, Hydrology: Oceans, Rivers, and Other Waterways), the measure ment and layout of the earth (Geography), sub‐lunar phenomena (Meteorology, “the study of things in the middle”), and the “chemical” manipulation of matter (Greco‐ Egyptian and Byzantine Alchemy).
A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome, 2 Volume Set by Georgia L. Irby